We are seeking an energetic cloud developer passionate about open source cloud technology.
- Implement and test new features and upgrades for our OpenStack cloud offering
- Use your devops skills to move code from dev to staging to production
- Work in a 90% open source environment
About Vault Cloud
Vault is one of the first cloud service providers globally to be certified by ASD at a ‘protected’ level. Vault is rapidly growing and is dedicated to providing sovereign, agile and hyper-scale cloud services to the Government and its partners.
Play an integral role in building Vault System’s next-generation cloud architecture and optimise OpenStack to run on the latest hardware and take on the major players in the market. No proprietary solutions – we run almost exclusively on open source software.
Job Tasks and Responsibilities
The duties and tasks are varied and complex needing independent judgement. Below you will find a list of the key duties and responsibilities:
- Develop new features for the Vault Cloud, extending and maintaining OpenStack for stability and performance.
- Research and implement technical approaches that address key business requirements.
- Make transition plans for the smooth deployment into production
- Improve operational reliability, security, scalability and performance.
- Develop efficient and effective automated deployment and feature tests.
- Drive design, development, and implementation of our software and services by employing and improving the best of open source applications.
- Ensure exceptional quality and performance of components developed.
- Connect business requirements with technical solutions.
- Escalate issues to management as appropriate.
Skills and Experience
Below is a list of the experience, skills and qualifications that will be required for you to be successful in this role.
- Detailed knowledge of Linux and KVM/QEMU (administration, networking, troubleshooting). Ubuntu/Debian experience is a plus.
- Experience in scripting and software development (Python, Bash).
- Knowledge about the inner workings of the Ceph and Swift storage platforms
- Ability to build virtual environments (e.g. using Vagrant) via CI and use them to automate tests for code changes and deployments. We test OpenStack on OpenStack.
- Deep understanding of IP networking and protocols and how to leverage them in OpenStack Neutron.
- Experience in the use of open source tools and systems; comfortable with open source community and collaborative merit-based work where all ideas are heard and the best ones are implemented.
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science (or related degree and experience).
- In-depth OpenStack experience that goes beyond deployment and operation, e.g. code contributions, custom solutions
- Automation with Ansible
- Docker containerization and deployment
- Windows (Powershell, puppet, cloud based tools)
- System monitoring using Fluentd, Elasticsearch, Kibana, Prometheus, Cacti, Grafana, Nagios, Ceilometer, Ganglia
- MySQL administration, including performance tuning and clustering
- Fortinet FortiOS, CoreOS, Cumulus Linux
- OpenStack Heat templating
Other skills include:
- Ability to learn quickly and think ahead.
- Tackle problems with persistence and endurance until the correct solution is found.
- Ability to drill down on a problem yourself and solve bigger issues in a team
- Data Centre work experience (DC work is only occasionally required)
- Good communication skills both written and verbal.
- Ability to think strategically and execute quality output.
- Strong time-management skills.
- Hard working and passionate about career and making a difference.
- Willingness to contribute back to the Open Source community
If you have these characteristics and are interested in working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, we’d love to hear from you. Like everything, we do we are looking to move quickly so don’t delay.