We are currently seeking a Software Developer to join our expanding team. The successful candidate will be a quick learner and a coding enthusiast.
- Show us your skills and acquire new ones
- Choose your own tools and languages
- Work in a 90% Open Source environment
- Your contributions and decisions have a direct impact on customers and the future of Vault
About Vault Cloud
Vault is one of the first cloud service providers globally to be certified by ASD at a PROTECTED level. Vault is rapidly growing and is dedicated to providing sovereign, agile and hyper-scale cloud services to the Government and its partners.
Play an integral role in building Vaults next generation cloud offering. Build custom software solutions in your favourite language and development environment to tie our services together and provide a seamless user experience to our customers. Work with data from various business units and write code that will allow us to operate faster and more efficiently. We focus almost exclusively on using open source software.
Job Tasks and Responsibilities
The duties and tasks are varied and complex needing independent judgement. Below you will find a list of the key duties and responsibilities:
- Develop software that tie the components of our Openstack cloud together, e.g. use our billing data to create invoices and a status dashboard for customers
- Customise our cloud frontend UI (horizon)
- Implement custom modifications and add-ons to Openstack, one of the world’s biggest OSS projects
- Write code to automate software license management
- Realise any other software development tasks required by the business, as small as a few lines of script to as big as a Ruby on Rails application
- Write in python, ruby and bash or other languages suitable for the tasks at hand
- Package your apps in containers and run them on our own cloud infrastructure
- Write tests and CI scripts and continuously test and deploy your code
- Drive design, development, and implementation of our software and services by employing and improving the best of open source applications.
- Ensure exceptional quality and performance of components developed.
- Connect business requirements with technical solutions.
- Escalate issues to management as appropriate.
Skills and Experience
Below is a list of the experience, skills and qualifications that will be required for you to be successful in this role.
- Proven software development and scripting skills in Linux environments using free software programming languages
- Experience in scripting languages (Python, Bash).
- Ability to build virtual environments (e.g. using Terraform or heat) via CI and use them to automate tests for code changes and deployments. We test Openstack on Openstack.
- Experience in writing tests and continuous integration workflow
- Experience in use of open source tools and systems; comfortable with open source community and collaborative merit-based work where all ideas are heard and the best ones are implemented.
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science (or related degree and experience).
- Python Django and Ruby on Rails development experience
- Front-end (web UI) as well as back-end (API) development
- Automation with Ansible and Puppet
- Docker containerization and deployment
- Windows scripting in Powershell – our customer workloads require this
- Exposure to managing data structures provided by system monitoring tools such as Fluentd, Elasticsearch, Kibana, Prometheus, Cacti, Grafana, Nagios, Ceilometer, Ganglia
- Familiar with Fortinet FortiOS
- Exposure to collaboration tools such as Gitlab, JIRA, Confluence
- Openstack Heat templating
- Having contributed to Open Source projects
Other skills include:
- Ability to learn quickly and think ahead.
- Tackle problems with persistence and endurance until the correct solution is found.
- Ability to drill down on a problem yourself and solve bigger issues in a team
- Good communication skills both written and verbal.
- Ability to think strategically and execute quality output.
- Strong time-management skills.
- Hard working and passionate about career and making a difference.
- Willingness to contribute back to the Open Source community